Companies and limited partnerships registered in New Zealand are registered under the Companies Act 1993 and the Limited Partnerships Act 2008 .dem 2008, respectively. Foreign companies and foreign limited partnerships may also be registered in accordance with these articles of association. The “outbound” thin capitalization rules are intended to serve as a basic safeguard to prevent New Zealand residents with investments in controlled foreign companies (CFCs) and certain foreign investment funds (IFFs) from putting an excessive portion of their interest costs on the New Zealand tax base. Taxpayers who derive only income from employment, interest or dividends that withhold taxes at source in the income year are not required to file an annual income tax return, provided that the correct source tax deductions are made. If the tax administration knows that a taxpayer has not deducted the correct amount of tax, the tax office will send the taxpayer a personal tax return indicating the correct tax liability of the taxpayer. In certain circumstances, a taxpayer who does not receive an individual income tax return, but who knows that he or she has not received sufficient tax deduction, must apply for an individual income tax return from the tax authorities and arrange for it to be corrected. To change the tax rate on your interest or investment income, complete a Form IR456 and give it to your financial service provider. Sometimes you can also do this over the phone or online. As an employer, you keep a certain percentage of your employees` salaries on each paycheque, based on their personal income tax rate. It is very important to apply the right tax rate. They pay this amount on their behalf to the Inland Revenue (IR).

When it comes to work visas, New Zealand has three main work visa flows for skilled workers: Essential Skills (“ES”), Talent-Accredited Employer (“Talent”) and The Long-Term Skills Shortages List (“LTSSL”). Immigration New Zealand has announced a major change to the temporary work visa procedure, which is expected to take effect in mid-2022: These three work visa streams will no longer exist as of November 1, 2021. They are replaced by a single visa called an Accredited Employer Work Visa (“AEWV”). However, the introduction of AEWV has been postponed to mid-2022 without any political announcement being made on what it will replace in the meantime. If you have investments in New Zealand, your supplier will deduct the non-resident withholding tax (NRWT). Is there a minimum number of days2 before local tax authorities apply the economic employer approach? If so, what is the minimum number of days? Verify that there is a valid combination of general business reservation groups and general product reservation groups with the correct threshold. For example, in New Zealand today, the minimum threshold is $75 at a rate of 46.50%. Lol The New Zealand IRD does not currently have a policy statement on the subject and has focused on the actual employer in the past.

New Zealand law defines an employer by reference to the person who makes a deduction payment (i.e. a salary payment subject to Pay As You Earn (PAYE) or similar). This national interpretation would normally be incorporated into the interpretation of the double taxation convention (in the absence of a specific definition). Although there are several methods of calculating income under the FIF scheme, the standard method is the FDR (Fair Dividend Rate) method. The FDR method assumes that on the first day of the tax year, a taxpayer generates income from the FIF investment amounting to 5% of the market value of the investment. If the actual return on a taxpayer`s entire FIF investment portfolio is less than 5%, tax can usually be paid on the lower amount (losses are not deductible, however, KiwiSaver contributions are deducted from employees` salaries by 3% of gross earnings (there are options for higher employee contributions). Employers are required to pay a perk tax (FBT) on employee benefits in addition to their salary (e.B motor vehicles or low-interest loans). [27] Several methods are available to calculate FBT liabilities, including the possibility of paying a flat rate of 49.25% on all benefits granted.

[28] Transitional residents are subject to New Zealand interest income tax only at its marginal rate. Non-resident taxpayers must have a non-resident withholding tax or an approved levy from the issuer deducted from the New Zealand interest paid to them. On October 1, 2015, a real estate speculation test was introduced, which indicates certain purchases and sales of real estate as income (and is therefore taxed at the seller`s tax rate). The test does not apply to the family home, estate or property sold as part of a relational arrangement. The main purpose of the test is to raise funds from real estate speculation – originally, homes bought and sold within two years were taxable. [16] In 2018, the two-year threshold was raised to five years. Proceeds from real estate purchased and sold within five years are treated as income for tax purposes, subject to limits for family homes, etc.[17] Long-term assignments of 12 months or more are covered by a dedicated work visa. The criteria for the applicant are that he is a businessman seconded to New Zealand as an intra-group transferee to hold a management position in a multinational company; or a senior executive; or qualified personnel. If you have given your IRD number to your interest payer, you can use the rate of 10.5%, 17.5%, 30% or 33%. This is the amount of tax to be deducted during the year. It should match your income tax rate.

If your business makes regular payments to a contractor who provides services (p.B. an IT contractor), you must also deduct taxes from these payments. A contractor must provide you with a Contractor`s Tax Rate Notice (IR330C) that informs you of their tax rate. If they do not provide you with the IR330C, you will have to deduct 45% of their tax payment (or 20% if the entrepreneur is a non-resident business). Resident withholding tax is levied on dividends, unless the dividend is fully credited (i.e., the dividend does not carry the maximum amount of credits allowed). A limited partnership (LP) in New Zealand is a separate legal entity from its partners that has at least one general partner and at least one limited partner. Any natural or legal person (whether or not they are residents of New Zealand) can be a partner, and there is no limit to the number of partners. Reimbursement of expenses incurred as a result of employment can generally be reimbursed by the employer without the employee being taxed on the amount reimbursed. .